Monday, January 12, 2009

New year, new start?

So alas, a proper post to usher 2009... although it is a tad "late". Nonetheless, I think it's only proper for me to update a little about life thus far or rather, to ponder upon the past and see what is in stall for me in the future!

2008 was a year filled with much fun and excitement, and at the same time, despite all these joys, were also filled with tears and sadness for me. On the happier side of things, we have almost everyone turning 21 and thus, leading to a lot of celebrations and birthday bashes (but also causing a big hole in everyone's pockets). I myself had a 21st birthday bash, whereby the theme was "colours" and I hosted a little soiree at home for my closest friends. A number of travelling were achieved: With Sydney and Ayers Rock in the cards - these two holidays were filled with so much fun and laughter, I certainly will never forget those moments! Then there was the sister's visit to Melbourne in winter which was just fun, fun and more fun but also again, causing a big big hole in dad's pocket! I ended up following her home after that, escaping winter and having about three weeks of fun back here with my family and friends. Besides that, there was the girlies' trip to Melbourne from Gold Coast, where we spent the weekend pampering ourselves, stuffing ourselves to death with food and just spending precious time with each other, away from the rest of the world. All that aside, it was the days at uni which put a smile on my face - spending a hell lot of time with my dear friends attending classes, going for little outings, shopping sessions, late night yum-cha(s), heart to heart talks, eating and more eating (Norsiahs, anyone??), poker nights, mahjong nights and the list goes on... Above everything, my graduation and the family's visit was probably the highlight of my year! Being able to graduate without any problems was awesome, but having the whole family here was way better!

On the other hand, there were sad occasions too - my sister leaving to further her studies in the UK (another three years to go!!), all the tears and frustration over my studies and how I thought I wouldn't be able to make it (curse you Derivatives!), misunderstandings with a number of people that I felt dearly for and maybe just the thought about the future was enough to send me into a "mild depression".

Enough said, it's all in the past right now, and I can only look forward to see what the future holds for me. A major decision was made: about me leaving Malaysia and continuing my stay in Australia, and truthfully, up till this date, I do not know if it was the right choice or the right thing to do, but I guess in life, there are moments where you just need to make these decisions and stick with it whether you like them or not and just try to make the best out of it. As a natural born pessimist, I am trying to be optimistic here and hopefully, things fall in place and everything will work out as planned. I have all the intention in the world to return to my home country one day and just settling down here. There are times where you just feel so down because you know that you are unemployed when others are (hey! you chose to be like this!) and you are someone so hopeless because you do not have a job and you're still depending on your parents to feed you but I guess, like dad said, I have to get over this fact and move on with my life. C'est la vie, non?

I am not someone who makes resolutions because I know there is not a point in them - you merely make them because others do! And every year, I make the same old mental resolution: to lose weight, to lead a healthy life, to do something useful... and this year, it's no exception. All I want is to lose some weight before CNY and to maintain a healthy lifestyle throughout the year (hey aging is no fun) and obviously, to get a job or at least, a sign from above to let me know that I am doing something right in my life.

*******
Christmas was as usual, dad hosted his annual dinner-cum-party for his relatives, so I had tonnes of aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews at my place on the 25th night, feasting on a whole lot of good food and just having a lot of fun... As for New Year's Eve, it was a quiet celebration at home with the family, aunt, uncle and bf where we had a "mini BBQ" and toasted Moet to usher in the new year. Not forgetting the lovely mango cheesecake, the usual cheese platter/pate with crackers and a range of fruits! Ironically after the champagne, we all ended the night with hot chinese tea from Fujian. Vonne, you know you're sorely missed by all of us! *sob sob come back next Christmas!

An exact two more weeks to CNY, somehow it feels pretty quiet. A number of chores need to be done and it is about three weeks before I leave home again. Been feasting on a lot of good food, been doing a little shopping but nothing beats just lazing at home and spending time most with my family.

Happy new year, everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home